“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wated.” – Aesop
Volunteers bring a world of learning to youth through the youth literacy programs of Guardian Whiskers.
Become a champion in the lives of young people by volunteering with Guardian Whiskers. Please see below for the available volunteer positions. If you are interested in a position, please email [email protected] for a volunteer application to complete, or see below for a link to download the applicable volunteer application form. For each volunteer role, there will be a volunteer orientation that you will need to attend before volunteering.
Book Buddies Reading Program Therapy Team
A Book Buddies Reading Program therapy team, which consists of a person as the handler and their dog as a therapy animal, provides a safe, supportive, nonjudgmental environment for a child to practice reading aloud during each Book Buddies Reading Program session.
To learn more about the program, please visit here.
In order to volunteer as a Book Buddies Therapy Team, you and your dog are required:
- to be certified through Pet Partners or Alliance of Therapy Dogs.
- to be up-to-date with your dog’s veterinary checkups and vaccines
- to have passed the AKC Canine Good Citizen test within the past two years
- understand and use positive reinforcement (also known as pain-free, force-free, and do no harm) dog training methods in their training, during therapy sessions, and everyday life with their dog
Being on a therapy team with your dog is incredibly rewarding, for both you and your dog, and life-changing. Please click on the button below to download the volunteer application form. Email us at hello@guardianwhiskers if you need assistance or have questions. A scholarship program exists to cover registration fees. If you have a registered pet other than a dog, please reach out to us!!
Book Buddies Reading Program Volunteer Coordinator and Youth Assistant
A Book Buddies Volunteer Coordinator and Youth Assistant (16-18 years old) help facilitate the reading programs, which can include:
- Pre-event preparation
- Greeting and welcoming participants
- Collecting registration forms
- Keeping track of reading sessions
- Scheduling sessions
- Implementing a reading incentive program
- Wrapping-up after events
If interested in fulfilling this role, please click below to download a volunteer application form. Email us at [email protected] for assistance or if you have questions. Youths 16 years and older are permitted to apply. A background check and a volunteer orientation will also need to be completed.
Don’t see a volunteer role for you?
Email us at [email protected]!